Just like last year, there was significant cloud cover in my area the night of the Harvest Moon. I went on a meandering nighttime drive and during that caught a brief glimpse.
While H.P. Lovecraft never considered any place other than Providence his home, apparently there lay a special place in his dark heart for Marblehead, Massachusetts. It is impossible these days to see into another person's mind, but I can't help trying especially when it comes to such an inspired writer as Lovecraft. "The Terrible Old Man" was written in 1920 and in it Lovecraft envisions a damp, sagging, creaking, ancient costal town shrouded in darkness and mystery with streets full of dilapidated dwellings piled up on each other like a series of shipwrecks. When he visited Marblehead in 1922, I can't help but imagine Lovecraft's pleasant astonishment that his dreams had somehow wormed their way into reality. According to scholars like Donovan Loucks, Marblehead began to influence Lovecraft's stories from then on, beginning with The Festival . Lovecraft visited Marblehead often after that. It must have provided fresh ground for new stories. Lovecraft c...
Despite he heat that still grips my home state, I saw the first blush of fall color in the road-side foliage while driving home. Later, while dropping by the pharmacy, there was on the shelves Halloween brickabrack for sale.
So I took the opportunity to take a drive down a purportedly haunted road this a.m. shortly before sunrise. I get home and do some more research and find out that you actually have to stop your car and get out and wait in order for the apparitions to appear. Which I did not do. Dammit.
Comments
Post a Comment